Philip is a cheery little diesel boxcab who works as a shunting engine at Knapford Station. He lives at Wellsworth Sheds.
Philip is a little diesel boxcab engine with a big personality. Philip is a comic character and a bit of a clown. He is very eager and full of enthusiasm and he has an innocent, but very overblown sense of his own capabilities. Philip can be very funny, but some of the bigger engines have very little patience for the little boxcab. Philip is strong, fast and likes to hurry about and can constantly boast about it. But Philip's confidence is as big if not bigger than anyone's and he is always willing to try and definitely believes in himself. His actions and attitude soon won him many new friends on Sodor, especially Thomas and Percy, but Gordon and James find his bragging a little hard to accept.
Despite this, Philip can be the exact opposite if he chooses to. He is shown being quiet and enjoying the scenery, just like Toby.
- Philip will meet Winnie the Pooh, Ash Ketchum, Littlefoot, Simba, Mickey Mouse, SpongeBob, Tai, the Rainbooms and their friends in Pooh's Adventures of Thomas & Friends: The Great Race.
- Philip will make his first guest starring appearance in Pooh's Adventures of My Little Pony: The Movie (2017).
- Tigger will refers to him as "Philiy boy".
- Philip is Piper's boyfriend, since Piper reveals her feelings to him.
- Professor M is the one who built Philip.