Tunip the Vegimal is the Octonauts' cook and gardener. He is a vegimal, a half-animal, half-vegetable creature capable of breathing on land as well as underwater. Tunip is very childish and innocent, always wanting to help the Octonauts in any way he can. Aside from cooking the meals, Tunip works in the garden, cultivating vegetables he can use to cook meals. His two favorite meals are fish biscuits and kelp cakes. Tunip, like all Vegimals, speaks in vegimalese, which only Shellington can understand (usually). The only words Tunip can say in English is his own name and "Creature Report". He may be cute, but sometimes he can get a little silly. For example, in some episodes, when something bad happens, Tunip faints. Of all the Vegimals, Tunip is the only one who is a main character.
- In Octonauts Explore the Great Big Ocean book and The Very Vegimal Christmas episode, it is revealed that he and the other vegimals was found by Shellington as the eggs on the side of theOctopod.
- Tunip can actually say 2 words and a phrase in English: "Creature Report" "Check" and his name.
- Tunip was able to say Shellington's name in The Octonauts and the Sea Snakes.
- Tunip and the other Vegimals was able to speak a little more English in The Very Vegimal Christmas.
- In Octonauts and the Very Vegimal Christmas, Tunip is the one who gets the idea of creating the special Gup-V.