Zidgel is Keyboardest for the Penguins. He was voted 'Most Likely to become an Elvis Impersonator' by his class at the Academy. Zidgel took up the piano because he knew he could always check his appearance in it's shiny black mirror-like finish.
Zidgel's keyboard training started when he found an ad for a piano correspondence course on his jar of Jerry Lee Lewis Rock 'N Roll Hair Parmade.
Zidgel is some-what idiotic and is always obsessed with his appearance. Zidgel is shown to act brave for the camera, but be a chicken on the inside. Zidgel is the one who most of the aliens look up to for help, not knowing that this particular alien penguin has not merely got a clue on what is going on. Still, he has made various contributions and laughs towards the crew.
According to his voice actor Ron Wells, he is somewhat a mix of Ted Baxter and Captain Kirk.
The only person who will show anger or come-backs towards Zidgel is Midgel.
Zidgel is a Rockhopper penguin. His costume is a orange suit with brown gloves and shoulder pads, and the emblem Z.
During his retirement, he wears a similar suit to his old one, but blue.
- In early concept art, Zidgel's costume was blue. While this never passed for Zidgel in the final version of the show, this eventually became his retirement suit.
- Zidgel is highly allergic to avocados and any products containing it. It's unknown what happens to him after he's in contact with it.
- According to the other crew members, Zidgel doesn't like wearing glasses because he thinks they make him look silly. However, he contradicts this saying they make red marks on his beak.
- Zidgel bears a striking resemblance to Chanticleer from Rock-a-Doodle.
- According to an older version of the Big Idea website, if he wasn't on a spaceship crew, he would be either a hair model or shearing sheep.
- Zidgel will meet the Cutie Mark Crusaders in The Cutie Mark Crusaders Adventures of 3-2-1, Penguins!